Find out if your homeowners insurance covers winter storm damage

With a nor’easter expected to shed more than three feet of snow in most of Connecticut, the state insurance department is reminding residents to check their homeowners’ coverage.

“Proper disaster protection is essential and provides security at a potentially very stressful time,” Insurance Commissioner Andrew N. Mais said in a statement. “Policyholders should discuss with an agent or an insurance company whether their current coverage is adequate and adequate.”

A severe Connecticut winter poses a variety of risks – roof collapses, ice dams, and car accidents.

“If you prepare for the worst winter and know what your policies cover before you make a claim, you can recover from a disaster faster,” said Mais.

What do the guidelines generally cover?

These are general guidelines and guidelines that may vary.

To be sure of what’s covered, the insurance department recommends owners to discuss their policies with their carriers or agents, or contact CID through the agency’s online question / complaint system or call 800-203-3447 or 860-297-3900 .

Roof collapses: Homeowner policies usually cover sudden and accidental roof collapses. Age-related or existing damage can, however, be rejected.

Snow removal: Homeowner Insurance does not cover any injuries suffered by the homeowner during snow removal. However, snow removers should be covered by their own insurance policies.

Ice dam: Internal or external damage caused by an ice dam on a roof is generally covered. However, many policies don’t pay for ice dam removal.

Frozen pipes: Most guidelines cover pipe replacement and water damage. However, coverage may not apply if you’ve turned off the stove for the winter without winterizing the house.

Storm power failures: An all-risk policy generally pays for damage caused by power outages and equipment damaged by the failure. Check your guidelines to see if they cover any spoiled foods. Most policies don’t pay protection if you lose power for an extended period of time unless the home is damaged, making it uninhabitable.

Tenant: The landlord’s insurance pays for winter damage to a building. Damage to personal content that must be covered by the renter’s own insurance will not be paid for.

“Your insurer can only cover what they know you have lost, so it’s important to keep accurate records in order to be able to make future claims,” ​​said Mais.

“Expensive items such as art, collectibles or jewelry require additional coverage and must be assessed before taking out a separate policy. You should also keep your inventory record and insurer contact information somewhere next to your home or digitally where you can easily access them. There is also a smartphone inventory app available to help with this. “

The Insurance Department’s “Be Prepared” page provides consumers with a wealth of resources dedicated to the risks of the season. You can also download the CTPrepares mobile app for real-time emergency notifications and public safety notifications.

Preparation to protect property includes:

Take stock of things

Keep your policy and insurance contact information in a safe place

Check your policies with your agent or company to see what is covered – frequently asked questions about coverage

Understand the Claims Process – Tips for Creating a Storm Claim

Determine if you are exposed to a flood risk and need special flood insurance. Most homeowner insurance does not cover flood insurance

Comments are closed.