We all know what an outdoor paradise Spokane is, but word got around when Lilac City was just named the number 1 “Most Affordable Outdoor City” in the country, according to the Realtor.com.
The website said there was a bit of an uproar when they released the list last year because cities like Boulder, Colorado, Salt Lake City, and Honolulu were omitted. Good yes. They are affordable cities for the outdoorsy lover, and Spokane is certainly affordable by comparison.
When classifying the list, Realtor.com took the following criteria into account:
- Proportion of houses with outside patios, outside kitchens and patios
- Evaluation of the bicycle friendliness
- Kayak, rafting and outdoor equipment stores per capita
- Number of campsites
- Proportion of restaurants with outdoor seating
- Per capita from nature conservation scientists and foresters (sign of strong park presence)
- Number of national parks in the state
- Percentage of residents who live within a 10-minute walk of a park
After Spokane looked at it all, he prevailed!
Here is the list:
1.) Spokane, WA
2.) Bakersfield, CA.
3.) Tallahassee, FL
4.) Kalamazoo, MI
5.) Tucson, AZ
6.) Columbus, OH
7.) Virginia Beach, VA
8.) Winston, NC
9.) Fayetteville, AR
10.) Louisville, KY
Do you agree with the list? Tell us on our Facebook site!